Sunday, March 4, 2012

Some First-Hand Reviews of Wal-Mart Workers



Overall, they're not really satisfied- but so is many other grocery store workers, aren't they? Maybe it's just not Wal-Mart which has these problems, it's a common feature of avoided jobs... What is to blame, really? And you see, even if they have the same conditions, how they feel about it varies greatly from person to person.
Working For Walmart
Job Rating starstar
Salary Rating star
13 reviews so far
"I rather work at Best Buy."
POSTED FEBRUARY, 2012

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

Electronics Associate

WORK DATES

-

LOCATION

Jasper, AL

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

strict, cut-throat, fast-paced, flexible schedule, disorganized, political, high-pressure, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

Wal-mart, beyond a joke of the work force.. you have way to many chiefs and not enough Indians, one they need to get RID of the ZMS hold. our ZMS doesn't do crap but boss everybody around and make people do his job. the hours suck, the pay sucks, benefits suck to me. this the time of year for Inventory and its beyond awful. We are pretty always under handed, and what pisses me off is they want you to get something done and then send you up front to run a Register. Then they stay on us about customer service and how we should improve, their are times, I want to ball up my fist and bust my ZMS right in the mouth until he understands hes not a Store MANAGER.
honestly I would love to work at Best Buy. I went to a Best Buy the other day and bought a laptop, (walmart laptops are not worth buying. processors SUCK don't last long either) I told the guy that I was looking for a laptop for School, he showed me the HP dm4 told me everything it had in it, intel core i5 processor, 640GB, 8GB DDR3 memory, what software he thought was good with it and everything without even looking at the tag. He also did this with my laptop i bought which was the HP dv6. I asked him how long hes been working there he said 4 months, which to me is really impressive, he knows his products, willing to help, and very friendly.
People at walmart, not so friend, over night managers are assholes, overnight associates are lazy, to all associates we are mustly under paid, no benefit employees, that bust our as and still don't the recongiztion like we should.
I rather work somewhere were the companies care about their people and their families.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

Pros... hmmmmm.... none.
Cons. ZMS lazy, product tags never right, even though I'm a Electronic associate, I also get sent to run a register, pull fright off the trucks, and work in toys, grocery, pull in buggy's, and garden center.(this is why we are all under paid), PDQ's are always in the way of the customers I've had some many people complain about them. Scheduling sucks they never have enough people working on sunday or sometimes saturday, and during the week, I went there to buy something and their were two people working and 6 customers that wanted something unlocked or a tv from the back.
Bounses-24$... really? been their a year.
Current Salary..7.65... still no raise.
"Hated it "
POSTED JANUARY, 2012

COMPANY RATING

starstarstar

POSITION

All over

WORK DATES

Jan, 2012 - Jan, 2012

LOCATION

, RI

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

casual, open-door, team-oriented, fast-paced

WORKING AT WALMART:

I worked for Walmart twice at two diffrent stores and let me tell you the first time I worked there the girls there mostly women were itches expecially the HBA ones I have another name for that H**s ,Itches,A*****s. There were two women there lets call them "Kelly" and "Karen" all they need was one more K and they could of been the KKK. They were so mean to everybody "Kelly" no longer works there but I heard she never changed and "Karen" NEVER" changed still a 45 year old living in a 16 year olds head. Anyway then I went to work there years later and I loved it then after awhile new mgrs came in and then I hated it cause they didnt want to work with your schdule and tried to put the morning people that were there for a long time on some nights and I had to quit cause I couln;t work nights.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

Nothing
""Walmart Austerity""
POSTED JANUARY, 2012

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

worker

WORK DATES

Dec, 2008 - Jan, 2012

LOCATION

Alberta, Canada

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

cut-throat, fast-paced, disorganized, political, high-pressure, bureaucratic, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

"Walmart Austerity"
To put it bluntly
This Walmart MOSTLY sees what is wrong with the quality an individual's work rather that praising that individual honestly for all the good work that associate does. It is an extremely malevolent corporation to its own employees. Those who work hard are either led by the carrot, or do advance, but basically sideways, not up. The pay scale is really weird. The department managers (really glorified general supervisors, not really "Manager" by definition) often make less than many of the associates underneath.
Team leaders are often given the carrot on the stick treatment, but often not allowed to use any supervisor authorities to direct their own teams. Many team members fear the assistant managers opinion on what their own supervisor ordered them to do. If a department head directed their team, the team members were sometimes told by the assistants to run to the assistants and verify it with them before proceeding. The department heads were told by the managers that they are in charge of their own department, but then a lot of times the team members are also told by the same managers that the department heads have no authority to direct them and are not their direct supervisors. Very contradicting. I saw this with many department managers, supervisors, and leads. The assistant managers just love to micromanage associates by undermining the position of the department heads. Rather than follow chain of command down, the assistants bypass the individual in charge and give direct orders to the associates doing the actual work. But, if something went wrong, was not completed, or backfired, the department head or team leader was blamed, and often criticized in front of the team, and customers. This power hungry practice just adds stress to all associates under the assistant managers.
All of the former associates who had my position prior to me taking over had the exact same issues. Told to do "extra" tasks at spur of the moment while not given time to complete their regular duties. Then, when the regular duties cannot be completed, they would either get "coached" (forms of Walmart discipline that really degrades the associates pride in their job) or severely criticized for it.
Never enough staff to do the work, and severely underpaid for one's own abilities. I have ten plus years of experience in doing my type of work for this job, but get paid just over $12/hour, which is really pretty high for a regular associate at Walmart. I got that much because I became a squeaky wheel about it, and got some oil back.
Very many times I had been "TALKED DOWN" to or destructively criticized in front of other associates by some (not all) supervisors and all the current assistant managers. I was very embarrassed each time and pushed to the point of inner rage and physically shaking where other associates had to comfort me and calm me down. Once, I tried very recently to stick up for myself to a supervisor over me who was putting me down in front of other associates but that only ended up backfiring against me. I wasn't even allowed to make a formal complaint against that supervisor, just allowed to vent out about what happened. This story is just one of dozens of incidents that happens weekly at my store, one store in hundreds of stores around the world. Oh wow, I could go on.
There is a difference between a boss who directs by superiority, and a supervisor/manager who actually leads. All of the current assistant managers here are bosses and think they are in charge of everything that each associate does to the point of sometimes not allowing the associates to do their jobs by the job description, or for the jobs they were hired for. The only thing that the assistant manager's job has to do with our positions is giving us the opportunities to do the jobs we were hired for. Yet, they just order us around like robots and expecting us to act like drones to do their bidding. But this just proves the level of character some of these managers have when it comes to how they deal with other associates. They would rather make someones job harder by giving them more stress in the workplace than actually helping to relieve stress and promoting that someone with encouragement and praise.
We did have an assistant store manager who was forced to transfer to another local store because he was considered too "human" in this work environment. He would give praise and encouragement where it was needed and never negative stressing remarks about any associate's work who would do their job. In place of negative comments, he used constructive criticism. When an associate was upset at his decisions, he listened, but kept his authority as a manager while trying to find a compromise to help everyone involved. The only thing I had against him was allowing the then store manager to force him to another store.
Why was he transferred to another store? Because he was just a regular worker like all of us, and used his authority as assistant manager for the good of the store. Yet, the other managers seem to think that once they get that big pay increase and title of assistant manager or store manager, then the rest of us little people are expendable, and helpless without them. It is these managers of Walmart that are eroding the very structure of the work place that our ancestors fought hard and long to protect. Those workers many decades ago fought for equality, better work atmosphere, better wages for our abilities, higher standard of living and to be able to afford it, more verbal expressions in the workplace without retribution, and a safe and happy working environment. The new system is being championed by Walmart and its store managers who want to erase all the hard work of those before us that gave us a sense of belonging to our job and the company that took us in. There was once a time when the worker could feel part of a company family where that worker could be molded into a productive individual and in return give loyalty to the very company that was so good to give them a place to accomplish something good. Now, we are lucky to have all of our limbs (metaphorically) and sanity (not metaphorically, but truly) when we end our shifts each day. I know I have a lot more grey hair (literally) and mental stress in the few years I have had the austerity of being part of Walmart.
This company is far different and worse to be in than any other company I have ever worked for, even more so than a company I worked for a few years ago for a day rate of $70, doing hard physical labour, for 12 to 18 hours per day, with no day off, and no overtime pay. It equalled out to about $4.00 to $4.50 an hour when at the time minimum wage was above that. I did that for months. Walmart is now THE worst place I have ever worked at.
"Disrespect"
POSTED SEPTEMBER, 2011

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

Overnight Stocker

WORK DATES

-

LOCATION

, TX

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

hierarchical, strict, team-oriented, fast-paced, high-pressure

WORKING AT WALMART:

Most of the time I felt incredibly disrespected while working at Walmart. I worked as an overnight stocker and there was much pressure, especially around the holidays to get everything done in a ridiculous short amount of time. I was also put in a department that required me to lift large home appliances when I am a small person with a bad heart (which they knew of as I told them again and again yet they only moved me to a different area twice and then moved me back again).
There WERE a few good things about working for Walmart. During Thanksgiving and Christmas we had a large feast provided by Walmart with lots of food and time to chat. I did appreciate that extra special thing they did for all of us. I also enjoyed that occasionally the bakery would bring us donuts and coffee in the morning or other almost expired baked goods.
I wasn't happy with the pay or the long overnight hours and I was keen on how if you accidently got an hour or two of overtime you got in a lot of trouble.
Definitely wasn't the worst job I've had, but I wouldn't say it is the best job I have had either.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

Starting salary: $8.20
"Not bad to earn a few bucks"
POSTED JUNE, 2011

COMPANY RATING

starstarstarstar

POSITION

Sales Associate

WORK DATES

Apr, 2011 - Present

LOCATION

Mesa, AR

SALARY RATING

starstar

WORK ENVIRONMENT

hierarchical, supportive, fast-paced, high-pressure

WORKING AT WALMART:

I'm in this position solely to earn a little money while at college, I can't imagine making a career out of working at walmart, nor would I recommend it as a good option to do so.
But, for what it is, it's not bad. Yes, it's fast-paced, under-staffed (I commonly work weekends, and I'm more often than not the only associate covering ~4 departments, all of which are in need of my work constantly) and hierarchical, but, in all honestly, I don't mind it. I like that there's always something to do, I'm seldom left wandering around with nothing to do, I'm often allowed to make my own decisions and I don't have a manager breathing down my neck all day.
Most of the managers are kind and approachable, there are a few bad apples who are slightly demeaning, but I haven't been yelled at, nor have I been threatened, if I have qualms with a manager, it's usually because they're a little passive aggressive, not a big deal.

As for hours, I have bad weeks and good weeks, my schedule's very sporadic and all over the place. More often than not, if I approach a manager and ask if (s)he has any extra shifts going, they'll give them to you (I was cross trained across the store, so I can also work as a cashier and so on).
It's not a bad job.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

My WalMart pay is$7.70 an hour, 10% discount after 90 days of employment.
""
POSTED MAY, 2011

COMPANY RATING

starstar

POSITION

WORK DATES

Nov, 2006 - Present

LOCATION

massena , NY

SALARY RATING

starstar

WORK ENVIRONMENT

fast-paced, disorganized, high-pressure, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

In this town there isn't many jobs , so walmart takes advantage of that, with big time hour cuts and wants twice as much from the workers your treated like crap, the store use to be top store in the region and now will drop , because of the hours cut and items not getting onto the shelves customer upset because we dont have things they want on the floor , hardly any cashiers the line ups are crazey custumer walk out and line ups at the deli are crazy, most managagers are hiding in the back very rarely do you see one. so all assocaites get the crap from custumers. with the big cut backs managment get the big bonus.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

8.40 starting , current 10.30 4yrs , 32 hr week vacation only NOT 2 weeks paid , i get 32 hrs vacation. small bonus every 4 months maybe. Working at walmart certainly doesn't have any perks.
"Avoid this company-as an employee or a shopper."
POSTED JULY, 2010

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

Overnight stocker

WORK DATES

Apr, 2010 - Jun, 2010

LOCATION

Tomball, TX

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

strict, cut-throat, fast-paced, disorganized, political, high-pressure, bureaucratic, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

Hard to go into so much detail in so little space. Store was intentionally understaffed to keep costs down, me, as an electronics sales associate, had to stock four departments all over the store, solo, which was impossible with the time limits they set down. Managers would get mad and say you have 'no sense of urgency if you didn't meat every single one of those time limits. As well as other abusive things-in front of customers.

Co-workers were usually in their 40s and 50s, and were quite mean and cranky. One occasion, someone came to give me keys to the electronics case, and rather then hand them to me, glared at me and threw them on the floor (man was 50 years old, by the way.) Just like the managers, very unhelpful and condescending, But they expect you to help them at the drop of a hat. And will throw a fit if you don't, even if the reason wasn't entirely up to you. Doing something with a manager isn't a valid reason to not drop what you're doing and run to them, either. But hey, that's working at walmart for you.

And yes. The rollbacks and everyday low prices do come at great cost to the employees. Overtime is forbidden, and hours that were worked are erased in the computer to lower the pay of the employees to help keep the costs down. Avoid working here, and avoid shopping here and supporting this madness is the best advice I can offer.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

Starting salary-$8.90. Vacation time-none. Bonuses-none. Other perks-aside from the low-quality storebrand snacks in the lounge on Friday, none. As you can see, walmart pay isn't great.
"WAY OVER WORKED N WAY UNDER PAID"
POSTED JANUARY, 2010

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

3RD SHIFT STOCKER

WORK DATES

Jan, 2009 - Present

LOCATION

RADCLIFF, KY

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

WORKING AT WALMART:

LOTS OF FRIEGHT TO RUN AND BEING HELD TO TIME LIMITS THAT ARE IMPOSSIBLE. IN ONE BREATH OUR "COMANAGER" SAYS HE REALIZES OUR TIMES AREN'T ACCURATE AND IN THE VERY NEXT BREATH HE'S GETTING ON TO PEOPLE FOR NOT MEETING THEIR TIMES. ALL OF THE PERKS WE HAD FOR WORKING 3RD SHIFT WHEN I STARTED HAVE BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM US.
ALSO GET THIS WALMART MAKES THIER ASSOC. PAY FOR TRIER OWN CHRISTMAS PARTY BY RAISING MONEY DURING THE YEAR AT POT LUCKS, ECT. THEY DIDNT GIVE ANY DOOR PRIZES FOR CHRISTMAS, NO GIFT CARD, NOTHING. AND AGAIN WE PAID FOR OUR OWN PARTY!!!! BREATH TAKING IF YOU ASK ME. WALMART COULD GIVE A $10 GIFTCARD (TO SPEND IN WALMART OF COURSE) NO HAM NO TURKEY NOTHING....CRAZY
"Wal-mart is a dead end road"
POSTED OCTOBER, 2009

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

Third-shift Stocker

WORK DATES

-

LOCATION

Lexington, KY

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

WORKING AT WALMART:

I worked the graveyard shift at walmart for a few years; I know generally how the system works. You are asked to work a insanely large amount of freight in a very short amount of time. Like, for example, the guy who works paper goods is supposed to get his job done before lunch time - and it's usually 10 hours worth of freight! If an associate took those times seriously they would end up having a heart attack in no time. That's just one example. There are many examples in each department. They usually have one manager to be a blunt jerk and another manager to pretend like he's on your side. Every few months the first manager calls you into the back office and literally drills you like you're in the marine corps. The purpose behind having this lousy times is to (A) prevent you from getting the top raise you more than deserve, and (B) to get as much work done as is physically possible in a short amount of time. If you're going to work at walmart, then avoid third shift. That is where all the work is done, and they aren't afraid to crack the whip!
"Most unprofessional and unpleasant work place"
POSTED OCTOBER, 2009

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

WORK DATES

-

LOCATION

denver, CO

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

hierarchical, strict, disorganized, political, high-pressure, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

I only worked there for about 2 weeks. It was starting to cost me money to work there because the pay was so little. The managers of my department were horrible and would constantly wonder off during my training week. They taught me nothing except how to do the very basics. When they would leave for an hour or so, I would be alone to run the photo lab by myself with no register access. They never did fix my code for the register so I always had angry customers because no one could pay for their stuff.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

pros: i learn a few things about cameras

cons: unprofessional, low pay, lack of training, not a lot of hours.

I don't remember there being many perks. You have to work there a while to get anything, but there seems to be a high turn over rate. You can't live on walmart pay. They start you at minimum wage.
"this place sucks"
POSTED JUNE, 2009

COMPANY RATING

star

POSITION

department manager

WORK DATES

Jun, 2009 - Jun, 2009

LOCATION

bogalusa, LA

SALARY RATING

star

WORK ENVIRONMENT

strict, cut-throat, fast-paced, disorganized, high-pressure, unprofessional

WORKING AT WALMART:

lots of work little pay.

WAL MART SALARY AND BENEFITS:

I get 17,000 a year to bust my a**..walmart pay is terrible.
"Work your butt off"
POSTED MARCH, 2008

COMPANY RATING

starstarstar

POSITION

Assistant Manager

WORK DATES

Oct, 2005 - Present

LOCATION

Raleigh, NC

SALARY RATING

starstarstar

WORK ENVIRONMENT

fast-paced, old-fashioned, high-pressure

WORKING AT WAL-MART:

$42,000 a year base salary with a bonus based on how much profit we earn. We get a 10% off discount and 2 weeks paid vacation.
"A good place if you can handle very fast-paced work"
POSTED DECEMBER, 2007

COMPANY RATING

starstarstarstar

POSITION

Department Manager

WORK DATES

Feb, 2004 -

LOCATION

Lexington, KY

SALARY RATING

starstarstar

WORK ENVIRONMENT

hierarchical

WORKING AT WALMART:

Lots of management positions always opening up. This is because of new stores opening but also because of turnover. It’s a fast paced job- answering customer’s questions, managing inventory, working with planograms, managing associates, and so on. It’s not for everyone. It is quite stressful at times. I like working here despite the stress. Some people enjoy hard work like myself. Like I said, you have opportunities here.

8 comments:

  1. I really like this source! It's kind of interesting to read such review based upon the opinions of the employees. But I begin to wonder if other stores or supermarkets are the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You people really need to stop complaining, and learn how to spell, lol. All i hear is underpaid this and underpaid that. You talk about how some things aren't your job. Read you job descriptions. Is says that at times you may be asked to do other things. Your primary job is the area that you signed on to do, but in general you work for Wal-mart. I am an unloader. I've also worked stationary and seasonal, grocery, and ICS. I've even helped reset modulars. You knew what your jobs were when you started. Quit complaining. No matter where you work, there will always be things that you don't like about that job. I do like walmart. For one, the benefits. Two, at least you have a job. Three, so many opportunities to move up and do other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ass kissing walmart fag

      Delete
    2. I'm working third shift, and the walmart I'm working for is full great people. they treat you like family as soon as you walk through the door. and that was just on my orientation day when i didn't even officially have my badge or anything yet. so not every walmart is the same, people just complain because they have to work hard, i would rather be working at walmart then flipping burgers for cut back hours and low pay checks like i used to do.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha! Roy Reed, is it possible that you meant to say "I've worked stationery..." (meaning office supplies) instead of "stationary" (meaning not moving around)? The best part is where you tell others to learn how to spell! Hahaha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't like your job? Pick a park bench to sleep on and quit.
    Wal-Mart is not a bad place to work. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement if you are an honest, hard-working individual. Suck it up and stop being whiny losers. Work in general sucks. Not many people have their dream job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. every walmart is different, the one up by me everyone is like family at. the managers are honest with the staff, and are always welcome to open questions. and that was during my orientation that i picked up on that, so suck it up people a jobs a job. if you don't like it there's the unemployment line, go wait in it for another job like everyone else. - at this present time ( 6/22/14)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bunch of negative Nancys. Listen the pay sucks (welcome to retail) but there are opportunities everywhere because they hire pretty much anyone who wants a job and can pass a drug test oh and didn't kill anyone. Those people in turn whine every day about everything because work is soooooo hard and quit which is great because then you get to take thier job! All you got to do is try.

    ReplyDelete

Anything you want to tell me...