Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Reading Journal of Macbeth Act 2 by William Shakespeare



 
           Is it only me, or are the language and wordings in Act 2 much easier than Act 1? Or could be that I have improved in reading Shakespeare’s language? I would like to believe the latter explanation, but however it is, the important fact is that it was a lot easier and much more enjoyable to read. As I had some serenity of mind, I was able to try many different ways to understand the work as well.
           Firstly, what I did was to read it aloud, trying my best to sound like a British accent, referring to many British dramas I watched. I’ve always admired the accent. The more I tried to sound like a native person, the more I got theatrical and dramatic. It was fun trying to read that way- and I realized one thing: this play does have an indwelling rhythm in it! Exactly what kind of effect it had, I can’t really explain it in words, but I did feel it. Sometimes I spotted rhyming words, sometimes I spotted some metres I learned in poetry class. I could understand why they don’t change the original context to modern text: it just isn’t the same. It can’t possibly be.
           For further understanding of the rhythms, what I did was type ‘Macbeth Act 2’ on YouTube and finding some videos played by amateur actors. I was surprised at the quality and quantity of the videos; I could literally watch the one that matched my taste. As I already read the play one time, I did not have to look at the book to understand the plays, and that brought a great pleasure to me. Anyways, watching the play in the play form felt a lot different from reading it- it has both good and bad sides, so I think it’s best to do both.
           Another thing that inspired me was Shakespeare’s figurative language. The thing is, he uses it so often and is so accustomed to it that he does even not realize when he is using one! In other words, the usage of figurative language is very natural. It is a bit hard to understand at first, along with all those archaic words and expressions, but I admire his ability- I felt like I should study Shakespeare’s work thoroughly if I ever want to write a fine literature. I marveled whenever such beautiful expressions popped up, such as the ‘obscure bird’, ‘serious in mortality’, ‘unmannerly breeched with gore’, ‘naked frailties hid’ , ‘auger-hole’, and ‘the near in blood, the nearer bloody,’ I especially liked the last one I mentioned… I was happy to figure what it meant. The meaning itself is cruel, but it is put in such a concise and melodic way it has rhythms too.
           As for the content, I was a little bit bewildered at first; I was so overwhelmed with Macbeth’s long singing of his fear that I missed the part ‘it is done.’ I didn’t expect the scene to be described in such a manner, I expected more detail. Then, I guess, the crime scene is not the important part; Macbeth and Lady Macbeth’s psychological states are. Macbeth seems to have a mental breakdown after the crime, saying things like “I heard a voice cry ‘Sleep no more!’” He says that he couldn’t reply ‘Amen’ to God’s blessings, and there was the mention of hell by the drunken porter. All of these signs warn the future tragedy of Macbeth- but then, is it really a tragedy, getting punished for his sins?
           There are more of these signs, more severe ones that indicate the collapse of natural order. To start with, Lennox mentions the ill-omened incidents of chimneys blowing down, lamentings heard in the air, strange screams of death, clamoring of the obscure bird, earth shaking, etc. There are even more mentioned by the old man at scene 4, such a falcon being killed by a mousing owl and Duncan’s fine horses lashing out, even eating themselves. All of these indicate the unruly action of Macbeth his loyal king; and now that he has broken Heaven’s rule, he will face its wrath.
           Overall, I liked Act 2, it was much more interesting than Act 1, which was merely an introduction. I think I will try searching for a play online every time I read one Act, it gave good inspiration. I look forward to reading the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anything you want to tell me...